Next Step Transition Program
The Next Step Transitions program provides an intensive, specially designed and individualized program for Special Education students ages 18 – 21 that have graduated with a diploma.
Our classroom is set up as a mock apartment that any student might live in independently with most of the amenities of home. We believe in blending all the unique personalities and needs of our students in a home setting while teaching interpersonal skills that promote kindness, understanding, self awareness and patience with each other.
Our mission is to teach the skills that are necessary to be a successful well rounded adult, who understands what the real world will expect of them.
Purpose of Program:
Students are provided intensive specialized instruction such as:
- Communication and interpersonal skills
- Independent living skills, laundry, safety in the home, home cleaning and care
- Cooking, following a recipe
- Safety in the home
- Knowing when to call for help
- Grocery shopping
- Problem solving strategies
- Self regulation and de escalation strategies
- Self advocacy in any situation
- Social skills, healthy relationships
- Finance management
- School based business management
- Personal health and safety
- Learning the value of community involvement
- Volunteer programs focusing on future employment aspirations.
- Provide opportunities to acquire certifications such as: food handlers license, 1st Aide card, drivers permit or license etc.